2015 Presidential Election
Article 38(1) of the Constitution of Zambia states that ‘if the office of the President becomes vacant by reason of his death, an election to the office of the President shall be held in accordance with Article 34 within ninety days from the date of the office becoming vacant.’
Following the death of the Republican President, His Excellency Mr. Michael Chilufya Sata on 28th October, 2014, and in accordance with this provision, the Acting President, His Honour Dr. Guy Scott, announced 20th January, 2015, between 06:00 and 18:00 hours as the date of the Presidential Election.
The Electoral Commission of Zambia subsequently set 17th – 23rd December, 2014, as the nomination dates. Eleven candidates successfully filed their nomination papers.
Key Dates on the Election Timetable:
1. Campaign period: 19th November, 2014 to 19th January, 2015 at 18:00 hours.
2. Accreditation of local monitors will be decentralised to the districts and that of international observers will be done from Lusaka.
The accreditation period:
International Observers – 15th December, 2014 to 18th January, 2015
Local Monitors – 15th December, 2014 to 16th January, 2015
Results Centre – 14th January, 2015 to 18th January, 2015
3. VOTER CARD REPLACEMENT
Dates: 28th December, 2014 to 3rd January, 2015
- Lost voter’s cards: Police report and Green National Registration card.
- Defaced voter’s cards: Remains of the damaged card and Green National Registration card.
- NO NEW VOTERS will be registered and NO TRANSFERS will be effected.
- The period of the voter card replacement exercise WILL NOT be extended beyond 3rd January 2014.
4. Polls date: 20th January, 2015, between 06:00 and 18:00 hours.